What happens if several members in the community are bullied by animal control to euthanize healthy puppies?

Reno, NV |

ANimal control bullied and harassed several people into forcibly euthanizing healthy puppies

What? Those people had no choice? What happened? And what is the question?

I am an Attorney-at-Law, licensed to practice law only in the state of California. Unless we have both signed a formal retainer agreement, you are not my client, and my discussion of issues does not constitute legal advice. Opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of those who hold other opinions.

February 19th 2014 , several members of the community were called by Nevada animal control saying that their two month old puppies had been exposed to rabies. they had two choices, 6 months of quarantine or euthanization. the next day they were told that they had no choice and the puppies were to be put down by 4 pm on February 20. The dogs had been tested before, and all were tested negative for rabies. one woman had a member of animal control call her repeatedly and show up at her house guilting her to euthanize the puppy saying she was cruel for putting her otherwise healthy puppy into quarantine. As to date 6 puppies have been forcibly euthanized by animal control, all testing negative. There are 3 puppies that are left and are also negative. Animal control are calling everyone involved liars, and are still pushing for euthanization. All owners for the previously euthanized puppies have paperwork proving their puppies never had rabies or have been exposed to the disease. We have limited time before the last healthy puppies are forced to be put down. We need help immediately.

The question is are their any laws that can save these puppies?

Gary Ralph Ilmanen

Gary Ralph Ilmanen

Wow! A rabies quarantine is usually 10 days. I don't practice in NV, but suggest you call the supervisor to ask some of these questions. Hope that helps. Ther may be a process for an administrative hearing prior to euthanization...

Gary Ralph Ilmanen

Gary Ralph Ilmanen

I Googled nv law on this, and it seems that tHe options ----If the pups were actually exposed to rabies -- are 180 day quarantine or euthanization. The question is, do they have a reasonable basis to say that the pups were exposed?

Only one puppy was positive for rabies, but the problem is the puppy most likely was bit after adoption as it was the only puppy to test positive. the other puppies all tested negative. there was no substantial proof the puppies were ever exposed to the virus as both parents were vaccinated.