What happens if my shusbands adoption of my son does not go through?

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

My exhusband has seen my son every other weekend for 10 years, we divorced when he was 2. He decided he does not want to be "Dad" anymore & wants to terminate his rights & have my husband adopt him so he longer has to pay child support & says he will never see my son again. What happens if the adoption does not go through? If he comes to my house would I have to make my son go with him? Because of all this he never wants to see his bio dad again.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Fran Brochstein

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You live in Houston, Texas. There are many excellent family law attorneys in Houston. You need to meet with one in person and discuss all the options. Termination and step-parent adoption cases are complex. The Harris County family court judges don't grant these without a lot of thought. Your son is approx. 12 years old and knows his bio. father. If your son does not want his step-dad to adopt him, then the judge will not terminate his bio. dad's rights.

    I've written about this topic on my blog a few years ago. You can go to www.txfamilylaw4u.blogspot.com and read my thoughts on the topic.
    Termination is very serious and is something judges don't without making sure the bio. dad is serious and that all the paperwork is completely accurate.

    Good luck! Merry Christmas!

  2. Bruce Campbell Zivley

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I have handled a number of step parent adoptions over the past ten years. They have all been approved, but I cannot recall one where the child and the biological father have as extensive a relationship as here. Most past cases have involved parents who do not have a relationship with the child being adopted, and in most cases the step parent has always been the true "parent" in the eyes of the child. All adoptions require that an amicus attorney be appointed to represent the child. Accordingly, the termination/adoption needs to be something that the child wants. I have attached a link to my website with my contact information. Call me if you want to discuss these matters in further detail.

    All answers provided through Avvo are intended to assist in answering simple legal questions and should never be... more
  3. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . The outcome would be based on what the court would order.
    The natural fathers "time sharing or" visitation could be greatly limited or
    eliminated and the judge could decide if the child(12 year old) could testify
    his feelings or desires in this case.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,647 answers this week

2,733 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,647 answers this week

2,733 attorneys answering