What happens if my dog bites some one in my property

Asked about 2 years ago - Mount Vernon, WA

my dog bite a little girl inside my property but i dont have prove that my dog had the rabies vaccine because when i bout it they toll me that the dog already had it so i was wondering what can happen

so the girl that my dog bit when to my backyard without her mom permission and we also had a sign of beware of dog so would they still do something to my dog? would i have to pay a fee and would they take away my dog for that?

1. Dave Hawkins

Pro

5

Answered . You need to go see an attorney because a variety of things can happen: you can be sued for the injuries the girl sustained; your dog can be seized by animal control and you can be fined for not having proof of raised vaccination. Waste no time in scheduling an appointment.

2. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

3

1

Answered . What can happen depends on the facts of which there are few in your post. What you should do is review the specific facts with your attorney to find out what your legal options are.

Facts that may be relevant may include: how did the girl end up on your property? For example, there would be a different result if she ran onto your property from the streets versus she was there visiting you with her parents.

Why did the dog bite the girl? If the girl was hitting the dog and it bit her, that would be different than if the dog bit her unprovoked.

Can you find the person from whom you bought the dog? Perhaps that person still has the vaccination records. Otherwise, the girl likely will have to get a series of rabies shots while your dog is quarantined to check whether it has rabies.

Does the dog have a history of biting people? If the dog has a history of biting people or other animals, you likely will be liable for not controlling the dog. You may even face criminal law charges.

If you have insurance coverage, you need to timely report the claim to your insurer.

You should review the specific facts with your attorney to find out your legal options.

3. Joel Jay Kofsky

4

Answered . Hopefully the girl will be ok. You did not indicate if you have insurance. If you do and a claim is presented simply forward them the letter.
    http://www.phillyinjurylawyer.com/

4. E.P. Hackenberg

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

You should submit a claim to your own insurance company of the incident. You also need to meet with an attorney.

5. Daniel Nelson Deasy

3

Answered . People injured by dogs many times hav a cause of action against the dog owner. If you have home owner's or renter's insurance, contact your carrier to alert them of the potential claim. If the girl was trespassing, you may be off the hook!

Good luck to you.