What happens if I turn myself in while having a warrant out for my arrest?

Asked about 1 year ago - Jamaica, NY

Two years ago I stole clothes from Macys. They gave me a court date. I never showed up. I now have a warrant out my arrest.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

1

Answered . I handle cases like this all the time. It is best to return on the warrant with a lawyer. Depending on the facts of the case, it can be worked out in your favor in one court appearance. If you are indigent, the Judge will appoint you a public defender.

2. Howard A. Schwartz

2

1

Answered . It will be best if you return voluntarily. If you have no previous record you may be released without bail although it would be better to go prepared. If you do not have an attorney the court will appoint one for at least the first appearance.

3. Marco Caviglia

2

1

Answered . To improve your chances that turning yourself in will not result in detention pending arraignment or higher bail than one would like, you should proceed with an attorney. Basically, you are a no show for 2 years and they will want some security for your future appearances.

4. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

2

1

Answered . An attorney should go with you. If you can't afford one, the court will give you one.
    If it's a 1st offense, it should not be a big deal.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

5. Stephen Charles Cooper

1

Answered . You probably have a bench warrant from the Court because you did not show up. If you have no record and voluntarily surrender at the Court, you will probably be released and given a new Court date. Once that is done your attorney can work out a deal.

6. Jose Gabriel Santiago

Pro

1

Answered . If there is an arrest warrant I would advise you to hire an attorney that will contact the detective assigned to your case and schedule a date and time for you to turn yourself in. Although it has been two (2) years, It is my experience that you are more likely to get a favorable bail determination from the Court when you voluntarily turn yourself in than when you are picked up and brought in wearing handcuffs.