What happens if I settled with my spouse and signed agreement but he neither sent a copy to my lawyer or sent it to the court?

Asked over 1 year ago - Kilgore, TX

I signed a settlement paper at my ex-husband office 20 days ago and he said it will be sent to my lawyer and to the judge to be signed and we are done with the divorce to a final decree then the property division,now my lawyer say i got no settlement paper from his lawyer and nothing sent to the judge to be signed i texted him he say my lawyer is slow but i don't believe that and feel he is dragging it because he don't want me to get my money ,what should i do ?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Adam Kielich

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should work with your lawyer. That is what you are paying him/her to help you with.

  2. Joseph M. Oswald

    Contributor Level 4


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If there is a signed, settlement agreement that states the agreement is irrevocable you need to obtain a copy and move forward with finalizing your divorce. A properly executed settlement agreement can be used to prove up the terms of a divorce prior to the Final Decree of Divorce being entered with the court. Contact your lawyer and request that he/she obtain a signed copy from your spouse's lawyer.

  3. Mark Dominic Grosso

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . Always retain a copy of anything you sign. Please contact your (ex?) husband to obtain a copy and bring it to an attorney for advice on finalizing your divorce.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce court

Divorce court is where the divorce process takes place. The court may determine matters like alimony, child custody, and property division.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,559 answers this week

3,336 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,559 answers this week

3,336 attorneys answering