What happens if I refuse to pay an auto repair deductible?

Denver, CO |

I got into an accident this morning with another driver and the officer declined to determine fault and issue a citation because of our conflicting reports. I was driving across an intersection and had the green and she jumped out in front of me and I t-boned her vehicle. She claims that she "thought her light was green". My main problem is that I'm a month and a half behind on payments and was planning to file chapter 7 bankruptcy within the next two months. I wanted to just give the vehicle up as it was also $6000 upside down before the accident. If they choose to repair my truck instead totaling it I don't want to pay the $500 deductible just for it to get repossessed shortly afterwards.

If you file the bankruptcy and return the car to the dealership you will more than likely not owe the creditor any money back. However, to start repairs (if you choose that route) you'll likely need to first pay the deductible.

Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at Michael@Kingofpersonalinjurylaw.com www. KingofPersonalInjuryLaw.com I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

They will send an adjuster out to look at the property damage. They may just send you a check for the total repairs less the deductible. your best bet is to find a body shop that will do it for less than the estimate. Contact a bankruptcy attorney for the bankruptcy issue. I would not recommend that you try to file pro se.

I agree with my colleagues and will add that you might want to get moving on that Chapter 7 a bit sooner rather than later, with an experienced bankruptcy attorney, of course.

If insurance company send you check, use that money to pay deductible. With respect to bankruptcy, retain a local bankrupcy lawyer from Avvo in your city.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com