What happens if I plead not guilty? I was ticketed for "avoiding traffic device or intersection".

Asked over 1 year ago - Buffalo, NY

I was ticketed for "avoiding traffic device or intersection" in the other day. I feel that I was not in the wrong, but regardless, my question is what happens if I plead not guilty? I understand that I will have to appear in court, but is there any outcome that could be worse than the fine, which I calculated will be about 200 dollars. And how do I can I find out if I will receive points on my license. What, if any, possible defenses are there?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Dean S. Puleo

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If you plead "Not Guilty", and you should, you will be notified by the Court of a day to appear. Generally, you will meet with a prosecutor, who may or may not offer you a reduction.
    Often, an attorney can handle cases like this without the need of having you appear in court.

  2. Zev Goldstein


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . 2 point violation on your driving record.
    You can plead it down to a 0 point parking ticket yourself or send a attorney to go for you.

    This is not legal advice. If order to give you legal advice i would need to see the Tickets and talk to the court... more
  3. Marco Caviglia

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . If you were not "wrong" i.e. not guilty, don't plead guilty. Get an attorney and fight it with defenses you and the attorney identify, discuss, and agree upon. All moving violations have points, and you can check the exact penalties on the NYS DMV web site.

    If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,112 answers this week

3,229 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,112 answers this week

3,229 attorneys answering