Skip to main content

What happens if I missed my court date for a fix -it ticket?

Pasadena, CA |

Unfortunately, I missed the arraignment date for the fix-it ticket I received in August 2011 that I completely forgot about. I was given a new court date for 8/2012 in January after receiving notification that there would be a suspension placed on my license in February. My family no longer owns the car the ticket was issued to so i'm not quite sure what i'm supposed to do in court. Also, will my failure to to go to my first date affect everything? Thanks.

Attorney Answers 3


You most likely have a bench warrant for your failure to appear. The court issues these to defendants who fail to show up to court. This means that you face arrest any time you interact with the police. The best course of action right now is to contact the court clerk directly and set your matter back on calendar. This will show that you were trying to clear it up should you be arrested. When it is placed on calendar, SHOW UP, and explain to the court why you missed. More likely than not, the court will recall the warrant. You may face a $300 - $400 civil assessment for missing court, but this is better than spending the night in jail. Good luck.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree

1 comment



Thank you for your response. I actually never received a letter regarding a warrant, I only received two letters (one from the court and one from the DMV) both explaining I had a hold on my license due to my failure to appear and that it would be suspended in February if I did not take care of the issue. Therefore, I went to the clerks office and purchased a DMV abstract and reset my court date for 8/2012. Due to this, am not sure if my failure to appear will be an issue or if I can just explain my situation and show my proof of sale of the previous car.


If you have a court date coming up this month, make sure to appear in court with proof that you no longer own the car (the DMV documents showing the sale). If you do not have a new court date, contact the court to get your matter put on calendar immediately.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


First, there may be a bench warrant for your arrest. This depends on when you missed your court date, ect.

Second, you need to bring proof that your family no longer owns the car.

Elliot Zarabi

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics