What happens if I'm issued a summons for marijuana possession?

Asked over 2 years ago - Tampa, FL

I'm 18 and this is my first offense. the police found it in my apartment and it was only about 2.5 grams. I complied with them and did what they said and they didn't take me to jail, but they said id be sent a summons in the mail. what happens now?

1. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

4

Answered . You were probably given a notice to appear. You will have to appear in the county court to face the 1st degree misdemeanor of possession of pot. You must go to court. It is best to hire an attorney.

2. David Ashley Haenel

Pro

2

Answered . You will have to appear in court to deal with the case. Make sure you continue to check the clerk of court website under your name to make sure you have the right court date. Failure to appear in court will result in a warrant for your arrest. You may qualify for pre-trial diversion which is a program that if you successfully complete will result in a dismissal of your charge. Understand that if the state is seeking a conviction or an adjudication of guilt against you, you will lose your driver's license for a period of two years.

3. Craig A. Epifanio

2

Answered . You should either have been given a piece of appear that would include your court date, and that document is called a Notice to Appear. If you did not get that, then what the police are doing is sending it to the state attorney's office for a recommendation to file formal charges. They may have felt at the time of the initial detention that they couldn't definitively tie the marijuana to you and therefore are leaving it up to the state attorney to decide. It is important at this stage to get an attorney to talk with the State attorney to see about dropping the charges. Once they file it becomes more difficult to drop charges. if you do nothing, then you will be kept in limbo for weeks, months, maybe years to see if they end up filing charges. Feel free to contact me if you wish.

4. James Regan

Pro

Answered . Was their entry into your home lawful? You should hire
    an attorney to review the discovery and make that determination.