What happens if I lie on a liability contract?

Asked over 1 year ago - Newfane, NY

I went skydiving, and it was amazing. However, when I was releasing the skydiving company from all liability if any accident was to occur, it asked me if I had one of several medical conditions. The truth was that I did; however, I wanted to skydive, and did not want this to prevent me from doing so. So I lied and said that I had no such condition. Can anything happen to me for lying? If I died insurance wouldn't of covered anything anyway, because it was skydiving, and the liability was already relinquished by signing the form. Am I good to go?

1. Jeffrey Ira Schwimmer

6

1

Best Answer

Answered . It sounds as if you already participated in the skydiving activity which was the subject of the "liability contract". If that document was executed for the specific purpose of that one dive, which is now completed without any adverse affect on you, then it is now essentially a nullity, and of no concern to you. If it covers future skydiving events as well, then you have made an intentional and material misrepresentation that goes to the heart of the agreement which could arguably nullify your rights to any benefits under that agreement that you would otherwise have, should that misrepresentation be discovered. I think you are already aware that it is never good to lie.

2. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

3

Answered . You should never lie on release forms.

3. Peter J Weinman

Pro

3

Answered . If you had died and your death was related to or caused by the condition, it would protect the company from your family suing for wrongful death.

If they find out, they won't let you skydive again.

You should not lie. Your condition is on the list for a reason, why increase your changes of getting injured?

4. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . I think you are good to go.

5. Josh P Tolin

3

Answered . Having been skydiving, you are right, your life insurance would not pay anyway. From a practical perspective, don't lie on any form, but here ...no harm.. ..no foul.

Pro

3

Answered . I wouldn't lose sleep over it. In the future, honesty is the best policy. Without character, we are nothing.

7. David Ian Schoen

Pro

1

Answered . You may need psychological counseling to find out why you may have a death wish. It is one thing to sky dive, it is another to potentially increase your risk of injury or death by lying about a known condition.