What happens if I lie on a liability contract?

Newfane, NY |

I went skydiving, and it was amazing. However, when I was releasing the skydiving company from all liability if any accident was to occur, it asked me if I had one of several medical conditions. The truth was that I did; however, I wanted to skydive, and did not want this to prevent me from doing so. So I lied and said that I had no such condition. Can anything happen to me for lying? If I died insurance wouldn't of covered anything anyway, because it was skydiving, and the liability was already relinquished by signing the form. Am I good to go?

It sounds as if you already participated in the skydiving activity which was the subject of the "liability contract". If that document was executed for the specific purpose of that one dive, which is now completed without any adverse affect on you, then it is now essentially a nullity, and of no concern to you. If it covers future skydiving events as well, then you have made an intentional and material misrepresentation that goes to the heart of the agreement which could arguably nullify your rights to any benefits under that agreement that you would otherwise have, should that misrepresentation be discovered. I think you are already aware that it is never good to lie.

2. I think you are good to go.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

3. You should never lie on release forms.

4. If you had died and your death was related to or caused by the condition, it would protect the company from your family suing for wrongful death.

If they find out, they won't let you skydive again.

You should not lie. Your condition is on the list for a reason, why increase your changes of getting injured?

I may be guessing or not licensed in your state. No atty/client relationship exists. I earn my living collecting points for "helpful" answers.

5. Having been skydiving, you are right, your life insurance would not pay anyway. From a practical perspective, don't lie on any form, but here ...no harm.. ..no foul.

6. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. In the future, honesty is the best policy. Without character, we are nothing.

7. You may need psychological counseling to find out why you may have a death wish. It is one thing to sky dive, it is another to potentially increase your risk of injury or death by lying about a known condition.