What happens if I have not completed classes for my DUI by the time my year of probation is up?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Charlotte, NC

In the state of NC, and it was my first offense. I was ordered to do 24 hours of community service and go in for and alcohol evaluation. I have done the community service, but have not completed the alcohol assessment or classes.

1. F. "Bill" William Powers

8

Answered . Good question! There are a few different things that can happen:

1. Most importantly, the failure to comply with the judgment, even regarding alcohol assessment and/or treatment, may result in an order for arrest.

Mecklenburg County has what is referred to as the post judgment center. It has staff who spend their entire day making sure people comply with judgments.

In fact, Charlotte is pretty quick in determining whether or not someone has done community service or treatment or paid fines and costs.

Therefore, it is not unusual to see orders for arrest for failure to comply in Charlotte / Mecklenburg County.

2. Technically, a failure to comply with the Court's order not only can result in an OFA, it also can end up being a basis to activate any suspended term.

Clearly, that is very serious.

3. The failure to comply with the treatment aspects of a judgment, may result in Administrative action by DMV and/or an additional period of suspension or revocation.

The assessing agency normally submits a special form to the Department of Transportation, and without that proof of compliance, the licene could be suspended indefinitely.

It makes sense to address the issue without delay and speak with an experienced impaired driving attorney.

Although it is not true in every instance, there could possibly be a manner in which to ask the Court to extend the period for compliance.

It is complicated, and a lot depends on the Court and the amount of time that has passed in noncompliance.

Again, great question!

Bill Powers
    Charlotte NC
    #ncdwilaws

2. Jasen Bodie Nielsen

Pro

3

Answered . If the classes were imposed as a term of probation (as they are in CA), then you could be looking at a probation violation. Good luck.

3. Zachary Andrew Cohen

Pro

Answered . Bill pretty much laid it out for you. Call the attorney that represented you to help, or consult with another attorney about approaching the sentencing Judge for an extension.