What Happens if I fail a drug test on PTI in Florida?

34655 |

I am on PTI for possesion of a trace amount ofcocaine in Pinellas County Florida and failed a drug test for cocaine 6 months into the program. I have never failed a test prior to this. I was honest with my PTI officer about the fact that I would test dirty. I had already discussed with her last month about my desire to attend drug treatment and have a date of entry of January 4, 2014 at a Drug Treatment Center in North Carolina.

1. You'll most likely be booted out of the PTI program and forced to litigate the charge on the merits through your attorney. It's a long shot, but your attorney may explore the possibility of getting approval to allow you back into PTI.

2. Your current case gets much more complicated and the violation reverts the original criminal case back to court. Discuss with your attorney of record without any delay.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois 773-562-8602

3. You will be arrested and held in jail until the judge can see you. If you have counsel, inform counsel and follow the advice given. It will be up to the judge and the prosecutor as to what might happen or even be offered.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,

4. Usually they will kick you out of PTI but you or your lawyer might be able to convince them to let you back in if your successful with treatment.