What happens if I don't show up for a summons?

New York, NY |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I have been given a summons for riding my bike on the sidewalk. I am an Australian and have since returned to my home country. I plan to come back to the USA on a new visa at the end of the year. Will missing the summons cause issue applying for my visa and then gaining access into the country?

What can i do?

You have two options. The first is to plead guilty to the violation via the "pink" slip. If you do not wish to do so, then you can contact an attorney to go to court on your behalf. In most cases where a "pink summons" is issued for 346 Broadway an attorney can represent you even if you are not present.

Sounds like this ticket was issued in New York City. If so, and if it is a pink-colored ticket, then you definitely should answer this ticket. Pink tickets are answerable in Criminal Court and failure to answer will result in a warrant for your arrest being issued. This is not the type of thing you want hanging over you especially when you plan on re-entering the country. A lawyer, such as myself, can handle the case for you so you won't have to come back for it. Otherwise, you'll have to appear on the date scheduled on the bottom of the summons. I hope this is helpful. Feel free to email me at mjweiss@888redlight.com for further information. Or visit our web site at http://www.nytrafficticket.com

Thanks