What happens if I don't pay wake county court cost within 20 days for driving with no lisences

Asked almost 3 years ago - Raleigh, NC

In wake county north carolina I was driving without a lisences and got the ticket with court date. I wasn't arrested and was allowed to leave, not driving. Went to court and was told to pay $190 court fees and 60 for a court appointed lawyer. Will they issue a warrant after the 20 days or just have to pay it when I want the lisences back?

1. Bonnor E. Hudson III

Answered . It depends upon whether you were placed on supervised probation or unsupervised probation. If you were placed on supervised probation, then your probation officer can violate you for not paying the money and ask the court to activate your suspended sentence, which means that you will go to jail if the court agrees with the probation officer. If you were placed on unsupervised probation, then it is unlikely that a warrant will be issued. You will have to pay the money if you ever want your license back. The money in question may also be entered as a civil judgment against you, which will adversely affect your credit.

2. Gregory J. Brewer

Pro

Answered . They will probably not issue a warrant, but your privilege to drive will be suspended until you pay the monies you owe. If you got a PJC, then they can pray judgment on you and reinstate the offense if you fail to pay. Most courts will give an extension of time for payment if you ask, but they charge a little extra administrative fee to do so.

3. F. "Bill" William Powers

Answered . You'd do well to speak with your Court Appointed Attorney. Given the factual scenario, it SOUNDS like a case called DWLR Driving While License Revoked.

That attorney will know more of the specifics and procedural history for the case. . .specifically including whether the Court intended immediate compliance and/or would be amenable to additional time.

Non-compliance with a Court Order / Judgment is serious business. Contact your attorney without delay.

bill powers
    charlotte, nc