What happens if I don't pay wake county court cost within 20 days for driving with no lisences

Asked almost 3 years ago - Raleigh, NC

In wake county north carolina I was driving without a lisences and got the ticket with court date. I wasn't arrested and was allowed to leave, not driving. Went to court and was told to pay $190 court fees and 60 for a court appointed lawyer. Will they issue a warrant after the 20 days or just have to pay it when I want the lisences back?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Bonnor E. Hudson III

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . It depends upon whether you were placed on supervised probation or unsupervised probation. If you were placed on supervised probation, then your probation officer can violate you for not paying the money and ask the court to activate your suspended sentence, which means that you will go to jail if the court agrees with the probation officer. If you were placed on unsupervised probation, then it is unlikely that a warrant will be issued. You will have to pay the money if you ever want your license back. The money in question may also be entered as a civil judgment against you, which will adversely affect your credit.

    The attorney responding is licensed only in the state of North Carolina. This response does NOT constitute legal... more
  2. Gregory J. Brewer


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . They will probably not issue a warrant, but your privilege to drive will be suspended until you pay the monies you owe. If you got a PJC, then they can pray judgment on you and reinstate the offense if you fail to pay. Most courts will give an extension of time for payment if you ask, but they charge a little extra administrative fee to do so.

  3. F. "Bill" William Powers

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . You'd do well to speak with your Court Appointed Attorney. Given the factual scenario, it SOUNDS like a case called DWLR Driving While License Revoked.

    That attorney will know more of the specifics and procedural history for the case. . .specifically including whether the Court intended immediate compliance and/or would be amenable to additional time.

    Non-compliance with a Court Order / Judgment is serious business. Contact your attorney without delay.

    bill powers
    charlotte, nc

    NOTE: Although a response is provided to the specific question, there may be other facts and law relevant to the... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,260 answers this week

2,977 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,260 answers this week

2,977 attorneys answering