What happens if I don't pay wake county court cost within 20 days for driving with no lisences

Raleigh, NC |

In wake county north carolina I was driving without a lisences and got the ticket with court date. I wasn't arrested and was allowed to leave, not driving. Went to court and was told to pay $190 court fees and 60 for a court appointed lawyer. Will they issue a warrant after the 20 days or just have to pay it when I want the lisences back?

1. It depends upon whether you were placed on supervised probation or unsupervised probation. If you were placed on supervised probation, then your probation officer can violate you for not paying the money and ask the court to activate your suspended sentence, which means that you will go to jail if the court agrees with the probation officer. If you were placed on unsupervised probation, then it is unlikely that a warrant will be issued. You will have to pay the money if you ever want your license back. The money in question may also be entered as a civil judgment against you, which will adversely affect your credit.

The attorney responding is licensed only in the state of North Carolina. This response does NOT constitute legal advice and does NOT create an attorney/ client relationship! Rather, the response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Although a response is provided to the specific question, there may be other facts and law relevant to the issue that the questioner has left out and which would make the reply unsuitable. Therefore, the questioner should not base any decision on the answer, but should confer with an attorney in person about the specifics of his or her case.

2. They will probably not issue a warrant, but your privilege to drive will be suspended until you pay the monies you owe. If you got a PJC, then they can pray judgment on you and reinstate the offense if you fail to pay. Most courts will give an extension of time for payment if you ask, but they charge a little extra administrative fee to do so.

3. You'd do well to speak with your Court Appointed Attorney. Given the factual scenario, it SOUNDS like a case called DWLR Driving While License Revoked.

That attorney will know more of the specifics and procedural history for the case. . .specifically including whether the Court intended immediate compliance and/or would be amenable to additional time.

Non-compliance with a Court Order / Judgment is serious business. Contact your attorney without delay.

bill powers
    charlotte, nc

NOTE: Although a response is provided to the specific question, there may be other facts and law relevant to the issue. The questioner should not base any decision on the answer and is specifically advised no client-lawyer relationship has been established. Put simply, seek the advice of competent counsel without delay to discuss the particular aspects of the case, factual scenario and historical background. NOTE: There may be other facts and law relevant to the issue. Readers should not base any decision on the;information provided herein and are specifically advised no client-lawyer relationship has been established. Put simply, seek the advice of competent counsel without delay to discuss the particular aspects of the case, factual scenario and historical background WHY: The content herein is provided for educational purposes and should not be inferred as applying only to DWI / DUI criminal defense. In fact, it may be equally relevant to claims of personal injury involving accidents and the consumption of alcohol or more simply, to the daily practice of law. Bill Powers lectures on such issues on a regular basis with the intent to educate, to be fair, to be accurate and to encourage, open, honest and scientific discussion on the subject. Attorney Bill Powers did NOT represent the Defendant in the particular cause of action.