What happens if I don't pay IRS the money that I owe?

Wayne, NJ |

I owe the IRS more than 10,000 dollars , will I go to jail if I don't pay that money ?

The IRS will levy your property, and will file liens against you. They will file liens in your county, and tack on interest and penalties, and possibly do a tax sale. I do not think that you will go to jail for a 10,000, but it will cost youmuch more in the long run. Work out your debt with the IRS. Get yourself a competent attorney who can do a workout or an offer in compromise. A bankruptcy attorney could also be of service, if you have additional debt, but remember that taxes in many cases are not dischargeable, but you could do a C13 Plan to pay them off.

The previous information is solely for informational purposes only. If you have further questions, please contact an attorney in your area for more specific answers. Responding to your question in no way creates an attorney/client relationship, and none of the specific guarantees of privacy exist. If you have found this information helpful, kindly check the "helpful" box.

Mr Nachbar offers sound advice. If you have any assets and have future income offer in compromises are a long shot. However, you can enter into an installment payment with the IRS and it now can be for up to 5 years. However, interest will still accrue on the ongoing balance due until fully paid off. For more on this please read IRS Fresh Start Program at http://www.sjfpc.com/irs_fresh_start_installments.html. Be sure to hit the like button at the end of this article if you found it helpful.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website for more tax, estate and business articles is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is

LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is <http://frommtaxes.wordpress.com/> Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

I agree with the prior attorneys that you will not go to jail. Make sure you have filed all your tax returns. Consult with a tax attorney such as myself to help assist with a workout plan. New IRS programs may also allow you to avoid a tax lien and even get a payment plan quickly and easily. Do not let it go on too long or you will know what "debtors prison" means.

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website: http://www.stevenzelinger.com/