What happens if I don't pay IRS the money that I owe?

Asked about 2 years ago - Wayne, NJ

I owe the IRS more than 10,000 dollars , will I go to jail if I don't pay that money ?

1. Stuart M Nachbar

Pro

5

Answered . The IRS will levy your property, and will file liens against you. They will file liens in your county, and tack on interest and penalties, and possibly do a tax sale. I do not think that you will go to jail for a 10,000, but it will cost youmuch more in the long run. Work out your debt with the IRS. Get yourself a competent attorney who can do a workout or an offer in compromise. A bankruptcy attorney could also be of service, if you have additional debt, but remember that taxes in many cases are not dischargeable, but you could do a C13 Plan to pay them off.

2. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with the prior attorneys that you will not go to jail. Make sure you have filed all your tax returns. Consult with a tax attorney such as myself to help assist with a workout plan. New IRS programs may also allow you to avoid a tax lien and even get a payment plan quickly and easily. Do not let it go on too long or you will know what "debtors prison" means.

3. Steven J. Fromm

4

Answered . Mr Nachbar offers sound advice. If you have any assets and have future income offer in compromises are a long shot. However, you can enter into an installment payment with the IRS and it now can be for up to 5 years. However, interest will still accrue on the ongoing balance due until fully paid off. For more on this please read IRS Fresh Start Program at http://www.sjfpc.com/irs_fresh_start_installmen.... Be sure to hit the like button at the end of this article if you found it helpful.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website for more tax, estate and business articles is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now