What happens if I don't pay a security bond in a civil lawsuit?

Troy, MI |

Started a small claims issue that wasn't resolved during divorce. Ex hired a lawyer and filed a motion for security for costs and judge ordered security bond to be paid within a month. I can't afford the bond, what will happen if I don't pay? Can I dismiss the case.

MCR 2.109 governs security bonds. If the non-moving party (the party who has to pay the bond) does not pay the bond, then the court will dismiss their claims. Therefore, if you do not pay the security bond, then at a minimum the court has the ability to dismiss your claims.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. This answer was purely for informational purposes and it was not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like to speak with our office to discuss representation options please do so! Zac Bonham, Joseph, Kroll, & Yagalla, P.C. 4121 Okemos Rd. Ste. 10 Okemos, Michigan 48864 (517) 381-2663

I agree with Zaccariah.

This advise is only being offered as a courtesy. We do not have an attorney-client relationship and I do not represent you. Additionally, the advice I have provided was based on the limited fact pattern provided by you. If the facts differ, my advice may not be correct. If you live in Michigan and would like legal assistance with your issue, feel free to contact me: 586-615-0756 / (ADVERTISING MATERIAL)

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes