What happens if I don't have money to pay the decision-maker when they demand it by the end of the week?

Asked 7 months ago - Arvada, CO

The decision-maker on my case has demanded that I and the other party pay a large amount of money to replenish our retainer by this Friday. This is an impossibility, as I am without work. What can I do?

1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

8

Answered . The decision maker will seek court permission to withdraw from your case. No one is expected to work for free. She or he probably has good reason to insist that the retainer be replenished in full. As many people get burned in the legal profession by being financially stiffed by clients. If you don't borrow it or take out a loan, expect a Motion to Withdraw as Decision Maker next week. That is simply how it works.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

5

Answered . Mr. Leroi is correct -- the DM will ask the court for permission to leave the case.

3. Josh P Tolin

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . Both attorneys who have answered, have given you accurate information. I would recommend speaking with them to work out a different payment plan, but if you don't work, I don't know how that is feasible. If you cannot work things out, your choices are limited if you don't have funds to pay an attorney. You can always check with Legal aid.