What happens if I don't complete all the schedules by the court date issued?

Asked over 1 year ago - Belleville, IL

I filed chapter 7 and have not completed the schedules, all I turned in was what was requested to start the BK. If I do not turn in the schedules what will happen? Will I be able to file at a later date? I thought I could do this on my own but need an attorney.

1. Judy A. Goldstein

10

Answered . The last 4 words in your question say it all: You need an attorney. Bankruptcy is not an area of law for be handled pro se. Hire counsel ASAP.

2. Joseph Andrew Brabender IV

Pro

4

Answered . Hire an attorney, messing up a bankruptcy can have huge consequences on your life.

3. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

4

Answered . While it is a discretionary decision for the judge to make if you miss the deadline, the choices may include dismissing your case , fining you , precluding you from filing another bankruptcy for up to a year, and for what? The work involved to complete the schedules takes a competent attorney less than an hour to prepare. If the problem is putting together your financial records, a good bookkeeper can be a Godsend as well. And most bankruptcy attorneys have the name of a good & reasonably priced bookkeeper in their rolodex. Hope this perspective helps!

4. Robert J Adams Jr.

Pro

Answered . You absolutely need an attorney. Debtors are strongly encouraged to obtain the services of competent legal counsel. Even if you cannot afford to pay an attorney, you may find yourself paying even more if your case gets dismissed due to untimely filings. Chapter 7 is for a fresh start, in most cases it can be a relatively simple case, but turn into a nightmare if not done correctly. You are already havig problems, call an attorney right away. Good luck