What happens if i do not show up for my court date today for family court

Worcester, MA |

my ex wants physical custody of my daughter who is living with him right now

Will a warrant be issued for my arrest~ I have been having panic attacks all night

Bad things happen to people who don't go to court: I can't imagine what could possibly prevent you or be more important than going to court when someone else being asked to decide who has custody of your child. The court itself will draw a negative inference about you- obviously, which is either you are too unstable to make it to court yourself or simply don't care.

In any event, if you don't go to court you will guarantee that custody will be placed with your ex and that it might become a permanent order. If custody was only placed with him on a temporary basis, you need to show up and explain why.

An arrest warrant for you will not issue, now one is going to go looking for you, but actions and decsions will be taken and made against you without any imput from you.

If the hearing has be rescheduled due to you not showing up and your ex has an attorney, I would plan on paying that attorney's reasonable fees as well.

The content of this answer should not be relied upon or used as a subsitute for consultation with professional advisors and it should be clearly understood that no attorney-client privilege has been created. A more complete answer and/or more accurate answer can only be provided in a more thorough examination of the facts in a consultation with my firm.

The court can grant a judgment

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

I agree with all of the answers you have received so far. The Court will not issue a warrant for your arrest if your ex has filed a modificaton of a custody order. However, if the court date is a Contempt hearing and you fail to show up, then the court has the power to issue a warrant for failing to appear. If you failed to go to a Contempt hearing today, you should probably contact an attorney immediately.

Consultation with an attorney is the only way to be sure that all relevant information will be factored and the right legal options and solutions will be provided. This answer is provided very limited and for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on, and does not create a client-attorney relationship.

Never ignore a court date. If you do not show for a regular hearing, the judge may very well give custody to your ex-spouse. You only have a voice if you are there and a judge may not know your position, or think you don't care about custody if you don't attend.

I am not sure what kind of hearing your are referring to, but there can be other consequences for not showing. If there is a summons for your appearance, there could be a bench warrant. If the hearing is to deal with contempt, you could be found in contempt and that could carry a jail sentence.

Again...never ignore a court date! (and, get a lawyer).

Best of luck!

Valerie Semensi, Esq. @ 781.383.1940

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody