What happens if i do not show up for my court date today for family court

Asked about 2 years ago - Worcester, MA

my ex wants physical custody of my daughter who is living with him right now

Will a warrant be issued for my arrest~ I have been having panic attacks all night

1. Mark Twombly Lee

2

Answered . Bad things happen to people who don't go to court: I can't imagine what could possibly prevent you or be more important than going to court when someone else being asked to decide who has custody of your child. The court itself will draw a negative inference about you- obviously, which is either you are too unstable to make it to court yourself or simply don't care.

In any event, if you don't go to court you will guarantee that custody will be placed with your ex and that it might become a permanent order. If custody was only placed with him on a temporary basis, you need to show up and explain why.

An arrest warrant for you will not issue, now one is going to go looking for you, but actions and decsions will be taken and made against you without any imput from you.

2. Todd Allen Davidson

2

Answered . If the hearing has be rescheduled due to you not showing up and your ex has an attorney, I would plan on paying that attorney's reasonable fees as well.

3. Henry Lebensbaum

1

Answered . The court can grant a judgment

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

4. Donna Keady Booth

Answered . I agree with all of the answers you have received so far. The Court will not issue a warrant for your arrest if your ex has filed a modificaton of a custody order. However, if the court date is a Contempt hearing and you fail to show up, then the court has the power to issue a warrant for failing to appear. If you failed to go to a Contempt hearing today, you should probably contact an attorney immediately.

5. Valerie J. Semensi

Answered . Never ignore a court date. If you do not show for a regular hearing, the judge may very well give custody to your ex-spouse. You only have a voice if you are there and a judge may not know your position, or think you don't care about custody if you don't attend.

I am not sure what kind of hearing your are referring to, but there can be other consequences for not showing. If there is a summons for your appearance, there could be a bench warrant. If the hearing is to deal with contempt, you could be found in contempt and that could carry a jail sentence.

Again...never ignore a court date! (and, get a lawyer).

Best of luck!

Valerie Semensi, Esq. @ 781.383.1940