What happens if I didn't know I had to answer interrogatories and I received them with only 5 days left to answer them

Hightstown, NJ |
Filed under: Litigation

this is in regards to trade mark law. my lawyer did not allow reasonable time for me to answer interrogatories and many of the questions were intrusive and i felt no one business

You can ask the other party for an extension. Answer and return them as quick as possible. they have to file a motion to compel first, before there can be any sanctions. But, don't wait, get it done. Seems like you might want to hire an attorney to help you out.

Robert Lee Vogel

Robert Lee Vogel

Sorry, you have an attorney. Then you should be talking to him about this. Get an extension. Yes, the questions are intrusive. But, your attorney can tell you if any are objectionable.

Since you have an attorney, it is inappropriate for anyone in this forum to comment specifically on the actions of your lawyer, or your case.

But generally, if you need more time, your attorney can request additional time from your adversary, and even if consent for more time is not given, as a practical matter you will have more time to answer them before the other side can take any formal action against you - thereby giving you more time. Just discuss with your attorney, they can explain how motion practice works..

As a side note, whether you feel something is or is not anyone's business, more than likely with the broad range that applies for the exchange of discovery, you will be compelled to provide the answers. However, if the questions are overbroad and overreach, and are not reasonably calculated to lead to the discovery of other relevant evidence, you may not need to answer. But as always, your attorney would know that best since your attorney knows the specifics of the case - not us.

Each case is fact sensitive, so all answers should be viewed as general advice only, and should never replace a thorough and in depth consultation with an experienced attorney. Further, an answer should not be seen as establishing an attorney-client relationship.

We can't tell you what to do when you have a hired lawyer. ETHICS

You can request additional time. Normally this is not anything that will be denied by the opposing party. However, if it is, your attorney to file a motion to extend time to answer.

Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. There are always specific facts that are important for an attorney to review before providing advice to a Client. In no way should you rely on the response provided herein to conduct your legal affairs on your own. You should always hire an attorney before you rely on advice provided.

You have a lawyer and you should discuss this with him/her. Interrogatories are part of the so-called "paper discovery" phase of pretrial discovery. There are ways to extend the time to answer and whether or not questions are proper or too intrusive is for your lawyer and you to discuss and determine how to answer.

The content of the this submission is intended to provide general information on the topic presented, and is offered with the understanding that the author is not rendering any legal or professional services or advice. This submission is not a substitute for legal advice. Should you require such services, retain competent legal counsel.

Litigation topics