What happens if I cash a check that was a scam but did not know it?

Asked 8 months ago - Rector, AR

I put an add on Craigslist that I needed a stay at home job like baby sitting etc. well I got a text message from someone saying they will pay me eight hundred dollars a week if I post some adds for them. Well I did this for three weeks then they sent me a check in the mail for twelve hundred dollars. I cashed it but now they are saying it was fake and a scam. Am I going to be in trouble for this or what will happen to me I had no idea that it was a scam.

1. Lucas Eric Rowe

1

Answered . You're likely not in any trouble for anything other than the bounced check fee. If it was me, I would call the local PD and report the scam. This will also help establish that you aren't a part of the scam.

2. Jonathan H Levy

Answered . You need to pay back the check casher or face possible consequences. Obviously, whoever cashed the check is not going to eat the loss as there too many of these scams going on.