What happens if I can't get in touch with the spouse who needs to show up in court?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Milwaukee, WI

Me and my husband filed for divorce, signed all the papers and had no issues. We had a hearing to finalize divorce but he did not show up in the court. I have been trying to reach him, but I don't know how to get in touch, I don't even know if he lives in WI. Is there a way to have this finalized if I don't find him? How long will this take to be finalized if he refuses to show up?

1. 1

1

Answered . If the court has jurisdiction over your husband, then as long as he was sent notice of the hearing the court may take a default judgment if he fails to appear. The court has jurisdiction over your husband if he has been served with the summons and petition; or, if you cannot find him, the summons has been published according to law..