What happens if I can't get in touch with the spouse who needs to show up in court?

Milwaukee, WI |

Me and my husband filed for divorce, signed all the papers and had no issues. We had a hearing to finalize divorce but he did not show up in the court. I have been trying to reach him, but I don't know how to get in touch, I don't even know if he lives in WI. Is there a way to have this finalized if I don't find him? How long will this take to be finalized if he refuses to show up?

If the court has jurisdiction over your husband, then as long as he was sent notice of the hearing the court may take a default judgment if he fails to appear. The court has jurisdiction over your husband if he has been served with the summons and petition; or, if you cannot find him, the summons has been published according to law..

This answer is for informational purposes only. By answering this question, no attorney/client relationship is created. Although the legal information is accurate, it may not be appropriate for your situation. The best way to handle any legal problem is to seek the advice of an attorney.

Recommended articles about Family law