What happens if I can't get in touch with the spouse who needs to show up in court?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Milwaukee, WI

Me and my husband filed for divorce, signed all the papers and had no issues. We had a hearing to finalize divorce but he did not show up in the court. I have been trying to reach him, but I don't know how to get in touch, I don't even know if he lives in WI. Is there a way to have this finalized if I don't find him? How long will this take to be finalized if he refuses to show up?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. 1

    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . If the court has jurisdiction over your husband, then as long as he was sent notice of the hearing the court may take a default judgment if he fails to appear. The court has jurisdiction over your husband if he has been served with the summons and petition; or, if you cannot find him, the summons has been published according to law..

    This answer is for informational purposes only. By answering this question, no attorney/client relationship is... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce court

Divorce court is where the divorce process takes place. The court may determine matters like alimony, child custody, and property division.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now