What happens if I am fasley accusted of impersonating a police officer?

Asked over 1 year ago - Arvada, CO

My girlfriend is going through a nasty custody battle with her ex. She was finally granted sole custody and that has not made him happy. He is now making false accusations that I called him and impersonated a police officer WHICH NEVER HAPPENED!! Now I have a warrant out for my arrest. He also has made accusations that I beat my girlfriend which DOES NOT HAPPEN. What do I do? I never did anything he is saying? How can I get arrested for something that never happened?

1. Joshua Eric Johnson

Pro

4

Answered . You can be arrested and charged if the police and prosecutors have probable cause to believe you committed a crime. This is not a very high standard for them to meet, unfortunately (they'll have to work harder to convict you).

My advice would be to contact a lawyer as soon as possible to discuss your options. Many of us offer free consultations. It sounds like you may have a good defense (e.g., charges against you based on allegation made by someone with a motive to lie about you), but it will be too much to handle on your own.

An attorney may also be able to help you deal with the arrest warrant by scheduling a walk-through and court date so that you can avoid being arrested and spending the night in jail.

In the meantime, avoid making any statements whatsoever to the police.

2. Vincent J Felletter Jr.

4

Answered . An arrest is just an accusation, that can be made from claims by witnesses who are not being truthful. You need to contact an attorney in your area to defend you, in particular to address verifying and turning yourself on the warrant, and then handling the case from there.

3. Christopher Daniel Leroi

3

Answered . My colleagues are correct. So far, the police just have one side of the issue and have probable cause (bare minimum of proof) to support charges against you. You NEED to go in and meet with a criminal defense attorney ASAP - most offer free consultations - and hire one that is a good match. Best of luck to you.

4. Richard Waldron Bryans Jr.

3

Answered . As my colleagues have indicated, unfortunately, the accusation(s) in and of themselves, provide the police with probable cause for an arrest. Happens all the time, again, unfortunately. Time for you to get an attorney.