Skip to main content

What happens if I am being forced to pay for a crash I did not have any fault to?

South Gate, CA |

I got into a car crash were Igot hit and pretty much wasn't my fault, and now I am forced to pay by the other persons attorney, I received a letter saying I had to pay $4374.54 so I called and they said they will mail me a letter saying were could I pay nd I haven't yet received 1 letter ever since. What do I do? Will I get more in trouble? I contacted them nd left them a voicemail which I shouldn't have to cause I wasn't responsible, but thinking I would get more in trouble I did nd they haven't returned my call or still haven't send me anything, is it still my responsability to keep contacting them?

Attorney Answers 7

  1. Best answer

    If you had insurance at the time of the collision, report the matter to your insurance company. If not, you may need to consult with an attorney about whether you are, in fact, liable; and if so, whether you truly owe the amount claimed. Best of luck!

    Information posted or made available on or through the Site, including without limitation any responses to legal questions posted in Avvo Q&A, information provided in Avvo Legal Guides, and any other comments, opinions, recommendations, answers, analysis, references, referrals or legally related content or information (collectively "Legal Information") is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and any attorney. Such Legal Information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely upon such Legal Information. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege.

  2. Do you have insurance?

  3. Report it to your insurance and do not accept fault or any statements from them. If you can afford to hire a lawyer do so because a lawyer will keep them away from you and will shift the fault. Also, get a copy of the police report. Do you have photographs?

  4. Turn it over to your insurance company to resolve.

  5. You do not have to keep contacting them - let your insurance company do it for you or retain an attorney to assist you. Do not admit fault or give any statements except to your insurance company or your attorney.

    This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

  6. Do not respond to these letters. Call your insurance company to defend you. If you do not have insurance then you need to come to an agreement but let a lawyer handle iut for you. Best of luck.

    This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

  7. Call a personal injury attorney. You'll get a free consultation and you would know exactly what you need to do. Good luck !!

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics