What happens if I am being forced to pay for a crash I did not have any fault to?

South Gate, CA |

I got into a car crash were Igot hit and pretty much wasn't my fault, and now I am forced to pay by the other persons attorney, I received a letter saying I had to pay $4374.54 so I called and they said they will mail me a letter saying were could I pay nd I haven't yet received 1 letter ever since. What do I do? Will I get more in trouble? I contacted them nd left them a voicemail which I shouldn't have to cause I wasn't responsible, but thinking I would get more in trouble I did nd they haven't returned my call or still haven't send me anything, is it still my responsability to keep contacting them?

If you had insurance at the time of the collision, report the matter to your insurance company. If not, you may need to consult with an attorney about whether you are, in fact, liable; and if so, whether you truly owe the amount claimed. Best of luck!

Information posted or made available on or through the Site, including without limitation any responses to legal questions posted in Avvo Q&A, information provided in Avvo Legal Guides, and any other comments, opinions, recommendations, answers, analysis, references, referrals or legally related content or information (collectively "Legal Information") is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and any attorney. Such Legal Information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely upon such Legal Information. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege.

Can I still contact my insurance if its been almost 3 months?

Fernando Davin Vargas

Fernando Davin Vargas

Yes; contact your insurance company right away, as they will prevent the attorney who is pursing you from taking advantage of you by asking for monies to which they are not entitled; or from asking for more than is reasonable. If you agree, please mark my response as best answer. Best of luck!

Okay but can they still have control over me if I gave a statement?

Fernando Davin Vargas

Fernando Davin Vargas

I don't understand your question. Feel free to call me for a free consultation. You can reach my at 909 / 982-0707. Tell the answering service you are a new client and they will connect your call to me.

Can they still force me to pay if I gave a statement to their insurance?

Fernando Davin Vargas

Fernando Davin Vargas

If you have insurance, the insurance company will cover the losses. Your statement may not be as problematic as you think. Even if it is, the insurance company will make sure the payment is reasonable. Just because you are at fault does not mean you have to pay the attorney the amount he is requesting.

Do you have insurance?

Yes I do but my insurance didn't cover her damages!

Report it to your insurance and do not accept fault or any statements from them. If you can afford to hire a lawyer do so because a lawyer will keep them away from you and will shift the fault. Also, get a copy of the police report. Do you have photographs?

I only have photographs of my car

Sharon Paris Babakhan

Sharon Paris Babakhan

Yeah, always take photos of the entire accident, your car, his car, the intersection, and etc. But even with your photograph if you were rear ended and it shows you were rear ended you can make your case.

It was the whole right side of my car!

Turn it over to your insurance company to resolve.

You do not have to keep contacting them - let your insurance company do it for you or retain an attorney to assist you. Do not admit fault or give any statements except to your insurance company or your attorney.

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

Do not respond to these letters. Call your insurance company to defend you. If you do not have insurance then you need to come to an agreement but let a lawyer handle iut for you. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

Call a personal injury attorney. You'll get a free consultation and you would know exactly what you need to do. Good luck !!