What happens if I-94 expires before my mother's I-130 and I-485 are approved?

Asked over 1 year ago - Issaquah, WA

I am a US Citizen and have applied for my mother's I-130 and I-485. My mother's I-94 is expiring in 2 months. I am yet to receive the notice of actions for the submitted forms. What can I do to ensure she stays in status while her AOS is pending? Will she face a problem at the interview if her I-94 expires by then?

1. Harry Asatrian

Pro

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . Although your mother's status may expire, she still qualifies for permanent residency as she is a parent of an American citizen. Under the law, she may adjust her status to a lawful permanent resident regardless if she overstayed her non-immigrant visa status. There are some issues with filing for an immigrant visa (I-130) for someone who enters on a B-1/B-2 visitor visa within the first 60 days of entry (called "preconceived intent"), which is disfavored by CIS, it is usually not a determining factor to deny an immediate relative's (spouses, children and parents of U.S. citizens) permanent resident application. I recommend seeking counsel to assist you to prepare you and your mother and attend the adjustment of status interview. Good luck!

2. Barbara A Marcouiller

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with the posted answers. She is allowed to be here until there is a decision on her case, even if the I-94 expired. Note: the only ones who can apply for adjustment of status after their period of authorized stay expires are parents of an adult U.S. citizen, spouse of U.S. citizen, minor child of U.S. citizen. I recommend you contact me or another experienced immigration attorney to review your case to determine if you might anticipate certain issues. One such issue may be the government claiming that she already intended to immigrate when she entered on her temporary status, or other potential issues.

3. Christian Schmidt

2

1

Answered . The expiration of your mother's status is not a problem for her adjustment application. Moreover, she cannot extend her status since she expressed the intent to immigrate. Her adjustment application should be approved unless USCIS determines that she entered the US in order to apply for a green card.

4. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . What happens if I-94 expires before my mother's I-130 and I-485 are approved? Nothing happens.