What happens if an ex-husband owes his spouse money from a divorce agreement and dies before paying it?

Asked 4 months ago - East Northport, NY

Money owed to ex-wife, had 6 years from date of divorce to pay her, 6 years coming up in November, and now ex-husband who remarried has health issues.

1. Steven P. Kuhn

1

Answered . If the money is not paid within the time period a claim to enforce it can be brought against the person if alive or his estate if deceased.

2. Paul Karl Siepmann

Pro

1

Answered . Simple answer is to file an Order to Show Cause for contempt in November. Get it straightened out in Court. Or have him sign a Confession of Judgment and record it.

3. Peter J Weinman

Pro

Answered . Your question is not entirely clear. He owes money to his ex-spouse who he divorced prior to marring you? You're worried whether she (the former spouse) can attach his money after he dies (from you)?

4. Matthew F. Govan

Pro

1

Answered . I am confused- is dead or not? She can make a claim against his estate, and depending upon where it falls in the priority of claims, she might get paid from the estate.