Skip to main content

What happens if an attorney makes a mistake with calculating dates, and sends me incorrect information?

San Francisco, CA |

He signed "I declare under penalty of perjury that this information and ever attached schedule, form and document is true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief."

It was a date calculation between now 1+ year ago. He shortened the time frame, which helps his case, and filed it with the clerk. The clerk mailed it to me via first class mail.

There is supporting evidence (which he sent) the contract execution date.

I am the defendant.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. It's hard to tell whether the attorney represents a plaintiff or is the plaintiff.
    In either event, you can bring the error to attention of the court, assuming you move in a timely manner.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

  2. Since I don't know the substance of the dispute it's hard to advise you. However there's often information that is slightly off or even wrong in such declarations. I think it far better to prove him wrong than to waste time trying to convince a DA to prosecute him for perjury.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics