What happens if a witness disobeys a subpoena in a misdemeanor case?

Asked over 1 year ago - Mohegan Lake, NY

I have three misdemeanors against me in a village court. One for criminal mischief (kicking a garbage can) and two for contempt for disobeying a temporary protective order (the criminal mischief and then asking the petitioner for a peaceful resolution).

If there was a non-jury trial and she didn't show up even though she was subpoenaed what is the worse that could happen to her? A fine? If so, how much?

The DA would need her as a witness.

I'd rather not have a misdemeanor on my record but I could also just plead to one misdemeanor and probably walk away. Is it worth it for me to see if the she would be amenable to helping me? I don;t want to get her in trouble.

1. Michael Evan Greenspan

9

Answered . Attorney Jones is absolutely correct.

Please do not even consider taking any actions to interfere with the prosecution of this case. You are setting yourself up for a whole heap of trouble far worse than the three misdemeanors you are facing.

2. William A. Jones Jr.

Pro

7

Answered . It sounds like you are contemplating seeing if "she" would help you by ignoring a subpoena. If that's what is being considered let me say in the strongest possible way to STOP. You will get yourself in considerably greater trouble and risk putting here in jeopardy as well. Better idea for you would be to have competent legal representation.

3. Edwin Drantivy

5

Answered . You need to address this with your attorney as he/she is in the best position to evaluate your strategy.

4. Marco Caviglia

3

Answered . If the prosecutor is really intent on making her a witness, s/he can seek a material witness order. Otherwise, contempt of a subpoena penalties are not a great deterrent for not showing up. What does your attorney have to say?

5. Michael R Crosner

3

Answered . BIG NO NO - YOU BOTH COULD WELL BE IN SERIOUS TROUBLE!!!!