Skip to main content

What happens if a US court orders a man to pay child support in the United States?

New York, NY |

What happens if a US court orders a man to pay child support in the United States? Shortly afterward he was deported from the United States and will be bared from entering the United States for ten years. There is no point in filing for child support in the other country, because it can’t be enforced and most people earn about $1.00 a day.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. If there's "no point" in filing for child support in the other country, then there's no point in doing anything. If the man is only going to be earning a dollar per day or so, then he's not going to be able to pay a U.S. child support order. If he returns to the US after 10 years and he has assets and/or income, the 10 years worth of child support arrears may still be collectible at that time. If the man was smart, he'd arrange to file for a downward modification based upon his reduced income due to his deportation, and then the amount of child support due after 10 years would be less (assuming the current order is more than the statutory minimum).

    Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown's responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

  2. If you have a valid court order, then it could conceivably be recognized for enforcement in that other country (depending on which country it is) without the necessity of getting a whole new order of support in that country. Whether as a practical matter it's worth it is a determination you'll have to make, based on a realistic appraisal of his income & assets (as well as whether it's possible he may re-enter the U.S. anytime within the next 20 years). For a full assessment, schedule a consultation with a NYC Child Support attorney.

    * If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

  3. He'll owe on the order but will be unable to pay. This will lead to an uncollectible arrearage. Welcome to my country.

    Good luck.

Child support topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics