What happens if a refugee leaves the US without a travel document?

Asked over 1 year ago - Austin, TX

In an Iraqi refugee , but I currently live and work in Dubai , If I stay in the US longer than 6 months my work , money and house will be lost in Dubai and my visa will be canceled . I have been told that applying for a travel document would take more than four months and sometimes you might get denied from having it if you they don't think your reasons are good enough . My question is , if I apply for a travel document and it takes longer than 4 months or gets denied , can I leave without it ? what happens when I try to go back to the US , and would leaving without a travel document affect my wife and kids status in the US ( they are refugees , too ) ?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

6

Answered . You might lose your refugee status. Your wife and kids, if they remain in the US, will not.

2. Eugene Andre Ahtirski

Pro

5

Answered . Immigration issues such as yours have no easy answers. I would be very careful about leaving the country and/or staying without proper "status", and you really should contact an immigration attorney ASAP to assist you with this matter!

3. Thomas Esparza Jr.

Pro

3

Answered . a bit of common sense here. if you think that you might need to travel in the future for a ligitimate reason, apply now and prove the reason iadvance of the need. there is a way to speed up the process but that isonly for emergencies.