What happens if a refugee leaves the US without a travel document?

Asked over 1 year ago - Austin, TX

In an Iraqi refugee , but I currently live and work in Dubai , If I stay in the US longer than 6 months my work , money and house will be lost in Dubai and my visa will be canceled . I have been told that applying for a travel document would take more than four months and sometimes you might get denied from having it if you they don't think your reasons are good enough . My question is , if I apply for a travel document and it takes longer than 4 months or gets denied , can I leave without it ? what happens when I try to go back to the US , and would leaving without a travel document affect my wife and kids status in the US ( they are refugees , too ) ?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

6

Answered . . You might lose your refugee status. Your wife and kids, if they remain in the US, will not.

2. Thomas Esparza Jr.

Pro

4

Answered . get one in advance as i explained in your other question. don't wait till the last minute

3. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

4

Answered . If you do leave without the travel document you may not be readmitted to the US. Your wife and children would not be affected however if they remain in the United States.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now