Skip to main content

What happens if a probation violation and probation officer doesn't report it to the court?

Estacada, OR |

What if there's a new misdemeanor viol. during a felony probation pd. and the probation officer chooses not to report it to the court as a prob. violation? How likely is it that the misd. violation will effect the fel. probation pd. ending on time?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You will find out when you go back to court! In the meantime as long as you reported it to him you are ok.

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.

  2. It will effect it! You have posted this before, what exactly going on? You can be sure if you try to hide or convince the probation officer not to violate you and the prosecutor or WORSE the Judge finds out you will be looking at a whole new criminal charge.

  3. You often give up a lot of rights when on parole or probation, but not the right to remain silent he hen there is a possibility of being accused of another crime. So, you are not under any obligation to incriminate yourself. (It would be wise not to risk doing so by posting this kind of post online instead of calling an attorney.)

    That said, don't lie, and don't try to corrupt the probation officer in any way. That s/he would choose to overlook the commission of another crime committed by someone under his or her supervision hardly sounds correct, and I wouldn't bank on that being the case forever.

    Stay compliant with all the terms of your probation, keep all your appointments and attend all court appearances, and let what happens happen.

    Nothing contained in this answer constitutes legal advice to the person who asked the question, nor does it in any way establish an attorney-client relationship between me and that person. I am not your attorney, but I am always happy to consult with you if you would like genuine legal advice.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics