What happens if a probation violation and probation officer doesn't report it to the court?

Asked about 1 year ago - Estacada, OR

What if there's a new misdemeanor viol. during a felony probation pd. and the probation officer chooses not to report it to the court as a prob. violation? How likely is it that the misd. violation will effect the fel. probation pd. ending on time?

1. Karen J Mockrin

Pro

2

Answered . You often give up a lot of rights when on parole or probation, but not the right to remain silent he hen there is a possibility of being accused of another crime. So, you are not under any obligation to incriminate yourself. (It would be wise not to risk doing so by posting this kind of post online instead of calling an attorney.)

That said, don't lie, and don't try to corrupt the probation officer in any way. That s/he would choose to overlook the commission of another crime committed by someone under his or her supervision hardly sounds correct, and I wouldn't bank on that being the case forever.

Stay compliant with all the terms of your probation, keep all your appointments and attend all court appearances, and let what happens happen.

2. Stephen Ross Cohen

1

Answered . You will find out when you go back to court! In the meantime as long as you reported it to him you are ok.

3. Kathryn Mary Holton

1

Answered . It will effect it! You have posted this before, what exactly going on? You can be sure if you try to hide or convince the probation officer not to violate you and the prosecutor or WORSE the Judge finds out you will be looking at a whole new criminal charge.