What happens if a police officer wrote the wrong birthdate on a ticket, do i sill have to pay the ticket?

Asked over 3 years ago - Ames, IA

the ticket was for having a loud party and underage drinking, but the police officer never checked anyone's ID and wrote the wrong date of my birth year. which technically isnt me if its the wrong date of my birth.

1. Charles Elwood Soechting Jr.

Answered . You can attempt to challenge the ticket, however this flaw might not be fatal to the ticket itself. If this is a municipal court charge, like a speeding ticket, or minor assault (In Texas they're called Class C misdemeanors) you can appear at your hearing date and the odds are good the case will be dismissed. Even if it is not dismissed, if the officer is present you can have your attorney question him at trial regarding the underlying basis for the ticket and get the officer to admit that no IDs were checked and a basic investigation was not done. The likelihood that the officer even recalls the incident in enough factual detail to testify about it is minimal. See the referenced legal guide on municipal court charges for more information.

2. Randy William Ferguson

Answered . Probably not make a difference. You can give it a shot.