Skip to main content

What happens if a minor gets caught with weed in michigan?

Kalamazoo, MI |

I'm a 16 year old kid who has dropped out of highschool. Iv'e had several people tell me that the judge will be harder on me. Is this true? Also, is it too much to hope for a slap on the wrist? I got caught with barely a gram.

Attorney Answers 3


It may be that if your were still in school the judge would go easier on you

Mark as helpful


Possession of marijuana is a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail and a $2000 fine. However, since you're only 16, the court can't put you in jail. You will be going to juvenile court which is the Family Division of the Circuit Court. You can expect fines/costs to pay as well as a term of probation to include drug testing. I would also imagine that you will be required to re-enroll in school. There are also driver's license sanctions. I'm not sure how that will effect you if you don't have a license yet. There is a possibility that the prosecutor will allow a deferral of your case, that the Court will place you on the "consent" calendar, or that you could be sentenced under a drug-diversion law. However, all of those things have to be bargained for and all will require a term of probation. You should hire a criminal defense attorney to represent you. Good luck.

Mark as helpful


As possession of marijuana is a misdemeanor most first-time offenders do not receive a severe sentence. Because you are a juvenile you cannot be sentenced to an jail. You might be sentenced to a juvenile center. The process is handled by the Family Court and during a disposition hearing the referee will determine your sentence.

The fact that you have dropped out of high school is a negative factor. For you to receive a lighter sentence you need to convince the court that you are a productive citizen. Get enrolled in high school, and get involved in school activities.

Hire an attorney to address this issue.

If you are seeking legal advice, you should contact an attorney. Neither use of the information on this page nor an email to this office establishes an attorney-client relationship. Such relationship can only be established by an express agreement.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics