What happens deposits when tenants does not want to sign landlord's lease agreement?

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

there is nothing signed, and tenant deposited to hold rental property and take off the ads.
landlord solely prepared lease agreement, and tenants do not "like" the lease agreement (no illegal clause in lease agreement)

is deposit nonrefundable when tenant refused to sign lease agreement? thanks

1. Paul S Vicary

2

Answered . I agree about returning the deposit. It is not uncommon, however, for such deposits to be kept. The rationale is that the property is taken off the market, thereby causing the landlord to potentially lose a month's rent. Many, indeed have contracts to lease which provide for this situation.

2. Sean Patrick Lewis

3

Answered . I presume that they didn't get a copy of the lease agreement at the time they gave you a deposit?

Honestly, I would give them back their deposit. Their deposit is provided in good faith, before seeing your rental agreement. If there are one or more terms that aren't common practice and that they feel are objectionable, it is going to cost you more money and time than its worth if they decide to fight you for the money.

3. Rex Edward Russo

Pro

1

Answered . Unless you have something in writing stating that the deposit is non-refundable, and even better including a statement as to why (i.e. because unit is being taken off the market immediately pending completion of the signed lease as presented), I don't see any basis to keep the deposit.