What happens at status conference?

Fort Worth, TX |
Filed under: Criminal defense

Plea Barganing

The status conference hearing is held prior to trial. At this hearing, the Defendant is required to appear in Court to advise the Judge whether or not he or she is ready for trial. The Defendant may also announce that he or she wishes to enter a plea. Finally, the Defendant may request a continuance if he or she is not ready for trial.

YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE PRESENT AT THE STATUS CONFERENCE. HOWEVER, YOUR PRESENCE IS NOT REQUIRED.

Well my husbands status conf is on June 5th & they said he either has to take the 6 years(for agg robery) he was offered, or go to trial which his court appointed lawyer advised to be a bad idea.. So do I expect that to be the last time I will see him for six years.

Could he still try to ask for the minimum of 5.. My husband maintains his inosence, but the two parties that did do it got there plea bargains based on their promise to testify against my husband that he was with them

One more thing I thought of... What if he decides to take it to trial & then changes his mind & wants to accept the plea instead of getting a lot more time( which is what everyone says will happen if he takes it to trial )

Daniel L. Morris

Daniel L. Morris

That will depend upon the prosecutor. I would talk to your attorney to see what he advises. Are they telling you that it will be straight time?

Not that im aware of.. its 2 counts of agg rob to be served concurrently..

Thank you sir for responding...

Daniel L. Morris

Daniel L. Morris

Your welcome. Good luck

Depending on the case, a status conference is usually a time where the defense attorney, prosecutor, and sometimes judge meet to discuss the disposition of a case. This often occurs later in the pretrial phase and is meant to acheive a plea bargain in the case as opposed to setting it for trial.

White & Measells LLP
1205 Rio Grande Street
Austin, TX 78701
(512) 369-3737

The status of the case is discussed, ie whether it is ready to be set on the trial calendar.

Answers presented on this website are intended only for informational purposes and any use of the contained material is at the users own risk. Answers are intended exclusively as a public resource for general information, and this information is intended, but is not promised or guaranteed to be, correct, up-to-date, or complete. This material is not intended to constitute legal advice, as an agreement to create an attorney-client relationship with the law offices of Mitchell S. Sexner & Associates LLC, or the provision of legal services, and receipt of this information does not constitute such an agreement. If legal or other specific expert advice is required, then the services of a competent professional should be sought.O