What happens at a Motion for Commitment hearing when the defendant does not come to court? He never shows up!

West Palm Beach, FL |
Filed under: Civil motions

BTW, this has nothing to do with a mental issue....it is for incarceration! This is on the heels of being granted my Motion for Contempt. However, my 'ex' doesn't show up at the hearings and now he has moved and I don't know his current address. He defaulted on some issues in our MSA as well as he is $68,000 in arrears for alimony. I just don't know what to expect when he doesn't show up for the commitment hearing and now I don't even know his current address. Can a Judge order his license to be suspended.....something has to get his attention before he will come out of hiding!

There will probably be an arrest warrant issued, or a writ of bodily attachment, and when he gets picked up, he will have to go in front of the judge. It is important for you to continue to try to find out where he is, and to stay in touch with your attorney's office with any new information.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239

It is possible the Judge will issue a Capias for his arrest. Good luck.

This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq. 727-456-0032/ 727-488-8272 familylawyer411.com/about-carin https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Law-Offices-of-Carin-M-Constantine/125967577416313 http://www.linkedin.com/pub/carin-constantine/b/861/445

It really depends on the judge, unless you ask for some specific type of relief. You might consider retaining an attorney to push the matter more aggressively. Especially when he owes that much money!
Good luck!

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.

Civil motions topics