Skip to main content

What happens after an I-130 petition is approved and priority date is current?

Lodi, CA |

My i-130 petitions for my wife and son were approved and our priority date has become current as of august 2012. What, if anything, do we need to do now?
We also welcomed a new baby daughter in September 2011. How will she be included in the immigration process? Thank you for your help

Additional information....I am a active and legal permanent resident, currently residing with my family overseas.

Attorney Answers 4


You will need to file an I-824 to have USCIS send the I-130 approval to the National Visa Center. The National Visa Center will then contact you with the fees to be paid and the original documents that it will need to schedule their appointments at the U.S. Consulate.

Myron R. Morales, Attorney
Morales PLLC

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


I might miss something, but where are your wife and children? Are you a permanent resident? If you are a resident, and they are abroad, you will need to start a Consulate process. The baby can be sponsored as well. I also think that by now you are close to your citizenship..,

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova

Mark as helpful

7 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree

1 comment



Dear Alena, Thank you for your feedback. I am a permanent resident and all of us are abroad.


Contact National visa center to follow up. You should have by now received fee bills from them so it's a good idea to touch base. Your baby will be included with mom.

Consider retaining a lawyer to help make this process go smoothly.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions. Visit us at Contact us at 713.335.5505 or email at Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


More facts are needed to determine how best to advise you. For example, we don't know your immigration status, where your relatives are located, and their immigration status. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review the facts of the case, advise you what to expect and how best to proceed.

Jeffrey A. Devore, Esq.
Board Certified Immigration Attorney
Devore Law Group, P.A.
4100 RCA Blvd., Suite 110
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
Telephone: (561) 478-5353
Facsimile: (561) 478-2144
Skype: jeffrey.a.devore

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Call +1-561-478-5353 to schedule a consultation with Mr. Devore.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Form I-130 (alien relative) topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics