What happens after an emergency protective order has been issued

Garden Grove, CA |

My boyfriend and I had an argument that escalated to a physical argument. The polices deemed it necessary for an Emergency Protective Order for me. They took him to the office department and he got out after that. I'm not afraid of myself being in any danger from him. I'm alot more worried of what will happen to him. And now I dont know what to expect. Does he have to go to court because of this ?

The Emergency Protective Order will expire after seven calendar days or five court days, whichever is earlier. You would only need to go to court if you wished to request a DVRO, which you apparently do not, and your boyfriend will only need to go to court if he is criminally charged with domestic violence in relation to this incident.

Any response provided is for general, public information only and DOES NOT constitute an attorney-client relationship or any other professional relationship. You are hereby advised to contact an attorney to seek specific counsel regarding your unique legal situation, as this response is not based upon particular facts and therefore should not be relied upon. This attorney is licensed to practice law in California only. 11 U.S.C §528 Disclosure: Miranda Law Group, PC is a professional law corporation providing debt relief, assisting parties that file for bankruptcy under the Bankruptcy Code. *** Cualquiera respuesta provista es solo para información general al público y NO CONSTITUYE una relación abogado-cliente o cualquier otra relación profesional. Usted está advertido acudirse con un abogado para buscar consejería específica acerca de su situación legal particular, como esta respuesta no está basada en hechos particulares, y por lo tanto no deberá dependerse de ella. Este abogado tiene licencia para ejercer leyes en California solamente. Divulgación 11 U.S.C. §528: Miranda Law Group, PC es una corporación professional de leyes que provee relevo de deudas, asistiendo a partes que presentan peticiones de bancarrota bajo el Código de Bancarrota.

It depends. If the police arrested him and he is being charged him with a crime he may have to appear in Court. Your emergency protective order will expire 72 hours after issuance. You have a small window of an opportunity file a domestic violence restraining order in family court. Your concern for him after the fact is an all too common response in these cases. I've seen this cycle again and again in my years in the business. Please, please think long and hard about staying in this relationship. If you have children, you have a responsibility to keep them safe. My guess is, this isn't the first time he's been physical with you. You deserve better. Why would you stay in an abusive relationship?

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship