What happens after a police report is filed?

Asked over 2 years ago - Sayville, NY

On 2-19 after a verbal argument with my ex boyfriends mothers girlfriend, she pushed me down the front steps to her house. I did not fall or receive any injury but it occurred in front of my infant daughter. They have threatened me countless times in front of my daughter, that i called the police and filed a report. At the time my ex boyfriend told the officer everything i said was true. He told me today that he will be writing a statement for his mothers girlfriend saying i was the one who started the verbal argument,told her to hit me, and she never touched me because he needs a place to live. What happens after a report is filed? Can I included my daughter in the petition for an order of protection? I fear for her safety because this violence both verbal and physical.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . you should pursue this matter with the police if you feel threatened or harassed. It may become a he said/she said but the police and/or the family court should get involved.

  2. Benjamin J Lieberman

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . If you are entitled to an order of protection and the threats and harassments are happening in front of your child, and you believe that a danger presents itself to your child as well, you might be able to have the order modified to include your daughter. You should speak with the DA that is handling the matter. If you are filing a petition then this is a family court matter. The court clerk should be able to assist you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,604 answers this week

3,379 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,604 answers this week

3,379 attorneys answering