What happens after a judge grants you a BIFURCATION?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I have a hearing to bifurcate the marriage, because I am remarrying. If everything goes well, and the judge grants it, what happens next? Am I divorced that very same day? Does he sign papers? If so, what papers does he sign? Do I bring them?
I understand it takes 6 months to divorce, but I filed for divorce over a year ago. Does it count or do I have to wait an additional 6 months?

1. Tobie Brina Waxman

3

Answered . You should bring judgment papers with you and the judge can sign them while you wait and then yes, you will be divorced. Bring an original and at least 3 copies of the Judgment and Notice of Entry of Judgment. Just in case the judge declines to sign the papers while you wait, bring a self addressed return envelope (post pre paid) for yourself and for your spouse so that the signed judgment will be sent to you.

2. Donald Frederick Conviser

3

Answered . The filing date is not the start of the 6 months. The 6 months starts on the date of service of process on the Respondent. You don't have to wait an additional 6 months. When the Judge signs the Judgment and the clerk enters the Judgment, your marital status will be a single person, available to marry your fiance'.

3. Tammi L Faulks

Pro

2

Answered . If you have all of your paperwork in order and the judge grants your request it is possible it will be final that day, Good Luck!