Skip to main content

What happens after a judge grants you a BIFURCATION?

Los Angeles, CA |

I have a hearing to bifurcate the marriage, because I am remarrying. If everything goes well, and the judge grants it, what happens next? Am I divorced that very same day? Does he sign papers? If so, what papers does he sign? Do I bring them?
I understand it takes 6 months to divorce, but I filed for divorce over a year ago. Does it count or do I have to wait an additional 6 months?

Attorney Answers 3


You should bring judgment papers with you and the judge can sign them while you wait and then yes, you will be divorced. Bring an original and at least 3 copies of the Judgment and Notice of Entry of Judgment. Just in case the judge declines to sign the papers while you wait, bring a self addressed return envelope (post pre paid) for yourself and for your spouse so that the signed judgment will be sent to you.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

1 comment



Thank you so much for your help. What are the numbers of the judgment papers I need to bring? I found three different ones online: The FL180, FL190 and FAM064.... are any of these the right ones? And do I leave them completely blank or fill them out?


The filing date is not the start of the 6 months. The 6 months starts on the date of service of process on the Respondent. You don't have to wait an additional 6 months. When the Judge signs the Judgment and the clerk enters the Judgment, your marital status will be a single person, available to marry your fiance'.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


If you have all of your paperwork in order and the judge grants your request it is possible it will be final that day, Good Luck!

Information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. The information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics