What happens after a creditor receives a summary judgment & how quickly can they seize a car in NY State?

Centereach, NY |

I just received a summary judgment against me. I am appealing the judgment. I am judgment proof with the exception of the vehicle that I own. The vehicle has a book value greater than the judgment.

1. If summary judgment was for non-payment of the loan on the car, particularly if the creditor has a lien interest they can take the car. Otherwise it will be much more difficult for them to get then r. More likely they will try to get money from any bank accounts you have or wages that you get.

The information contained in this posting is for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The furnishing of this information does not create an attorney client relationship. An attorney client relationship requires the furnishing, review, and signing of a retainer agreement.

2. An appeal does not stay enforcement of the judgment unless you post an undertaking for the entire amount of the judgment, to be paid immediately in the event that you do not prevail upon appeal.

THIS RESPONSE IS DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE. IT HAS BEEN PROVIDED FOR EDUCATION AND GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Terkell is licensed to practice in the State of New York only. . There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising out of this educational exchange. Moreover, the facts provided by you were not sufficient to allow Mr. Terkell to advise you specifically regarding what you should or should not do. You should seek the counsel of a qualified attorney licensed within the proper jurisdiction , to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Terkell is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter, or to take any action whatsoever