What Happends when your lawyer for 6 and a half years has retired on my workmans comp claim and now they want to give me his son

Norwich, CT |

hello my name is glen and my lawyer after 6 and a half years has retired ,now they want to give me his younger son ,so now i'm feeling like i am really not being represented 100% ,Now can i legally go and find another workmans comp lawyer? please Reply.

Do you feel comfortable. Your choice.

Yes, its your case and you have the right to change at any time but I would suggest that you have a face to face meeting with the son and ask your questions before you decide. Other lawyers that do workers comp may also suggest that before they would take your case.

thank you very much John I Will Take Your adivce.

You have an absolute right to choose any attorney you wish. That said, you need to remember that the attorney who worked on your matter for 6 1/2 years is going to have a significant lien on the file. It may be difficult for you to find a qualified attorney who is willing to work for half-price, or less. Before you do anything, you should meet with the new attorney, face-to-face and see how confident you feel. Good luck.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links: ccandiano@themargolisfirm.com http://www.themargolisfirm.com

good Day charles, so i guess what you are saying is that my current lawyer allready has a lien on my case,so do you sugest that i go with his son and will that affect the lien on my case?

Charles Joseph Michael Candiano

Charles Joseph Michael Candiano

Apparently, the son has either consumed or purchased his father's practice so there are no lien issues with the son. As Mr. Bollinger points out, it is also likely that the father did continue to make himself available for any input that may not be entirely reflected in the father's notes. Please understand that, like doctors, it is necessary for attorneys to keep fairly thorough notes on each of our cases to refresh our own memories. I tell you this by way of explanation that your new attorney will have the complete benefit of those notes and probably the benefit of being able to pick up the telephone and ask his father about any detail that may be missing.

I bet the son has been trained by the Dad and that the Dad will be available for son to consult with as the case goes along. So you may be well represented even if you stay with the young lawyer. As someone else suggested, go in and sit down and talk to the son and see if you will be comfortable with him. There is a chance too that the son has done most of the work on the case in recent years anyway, and you just did not know it.

This answer is intended as general information and not as specific legal advice. If you want to have a free consultation with me, please contact me through AVVO.

Thanks bobby,