What happen when you file with the Attorney Disciplinary Board ?

Baton Rouge, LA |

Does the attorney now have to answer to the reason why they did what they did ? Knowing the information was false, a lie, and even criminal and still pushed forth with the case against me, only to say he was sorry in the end and hopes that this does not damage my relationship with my family. what happens if he is found guilty?

Did what they did? You give only allegations and conclusions without any background facts as to what you are talking about here and what transpired......so try repost your question and give better facts if you want an answer that is worthhwhile. For example, you mention criminal issues as well so if he committed a crime then report him tom the police and DA if the unspoken acts are criminal. Sorry to be blunt but help us help you by giving some context to your situation.

My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained. Please click "helpful" or "best answer" if my answer added any value or add a "comment" if you have more info for me to help you get a better answer.

Without knowing the specifics of the actions and/or inactions which your attorney is responsible for, I can give you a little insight into what the disciplinary board process is like and what it can accomplish and not accomplish for you as a client. First, the disciplinary board will not be able to compensate you for any alleged act of malpractice. They can take action against the attorney in the form of a reprimand, suspension, or license revocation. This is only done in the most egregious of situations however. More often than not no action is taken by the disciplinary board, especially if the alleged acts are of the negligent type and not intentional acts by the attorney. Last, filing a complaint with the disciplinary board does NOT suspend the time you have in which to file suit against that attorney for malpractice. Under Louisiana law, you have one year from the date you knew or should have known of the act of malpractice and not more than three years absent allegations of fraud. If you feel that you have a legal malpractice claim I suggest contacting a malpractice attorney in your area as soon as possible to preserve any rights you may have against your former attorney.

The above does not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon for same. The person submitting the above inquiry must consult with an attorney in the field of practice to receive legal advice on this matter, including advice on potential prescription/peremption issues.