What happen if someone fraud your taxes and threaten to lie that they didn't do it?

Orlando, FL |

My friend did her taxes this year and had her sister-in-law to do them since she is the one that do taxes for years. Months later she found out that the information was wrong and had more money. Now the IRS is asking for a W2 form for proof and her sister-in-law has that, but since my friend had recently put her babydad on child support, her sister-in-law threaten her that she will take her to jail for fraud and lie saying that she didn't have anything to do with it. She kept the messages she send her about the threats but now shes worry... what will happen to her? Is there anything she can do, she haven't got her refund yet, the bank is holding it.

Your question is quite confusing. First, the sister-in-law cannot take your friend to jail. Prosecution of a legal matter can only be done by the state or Federal government. I suggest you contact a tax attorney in your area to go over your friends situation. The attorney will be able to contact the IRS on behalf of your friend and help her better understand the situation.

Circular 230 Disclosure: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, any tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments thereto, was not written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of (a) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (b) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein. If you would like a written opinion upon which you can rely for the purpose of avoiding penalties, please contact Steven F. Schroeder using the contact information set forth above.

Her sister-in-law put wrong information that way she can get more money for my her and her baby. Since shes putting the father on child support her sister-in-law didn't like the fact that she put her brother-in-law on support, so now that the IRS is asking for a W2 shes threaten her to take him off support or she will call and say it was fraud on my friends part. The sister-in-law was the one who did her taxes and she said she will lie that she didn't do it and have friends and family on her side.

Mr. Schroeder has given you a terrific response.

Tax law topics