What grace period do I have? Am I a lost cause?

Asked 3 months ago - Spokane, WA

This question is for Washington State, Spokane county. I am in the midst of divorce/custody proceedings, and the lawyer I had retained, just fired me. She said I was a lost cause, and didn't want to waste her time, or my money. Of course, the retainer was all used, plus some, BEFORE she decided I was a lost cause. I feel a lot of emotions about her revelation, but I'm really panicked about losing any forward progress I may have made before this. How long do I have to find new legal representation? And, will a new lawyer take my case? Does having been "fired" by a lawyer make it hard to find a new one?

1. Peter Jaret Abbarno

Pro

1

1

Answered . It is unfortunate that you were told you were a lost cause; especially after the retainer was used. However, there is no time period for finding new counsel. In reality, you may seek to move the case forward without counsel. A new lawyer may take your case, but it will depend on the lawyer and the facts of your case. Also, a lawyer may not wish to take a case that is already set for trial.
    I recommend you start your search for new counsel and request a full copy of your file from your previous counsel.

2. Andrew Y. Kim

Answered . There is no deadline to obtain new counsel. But if you have a case schedule in Spokane County, then you should hire another attorney as soon as possible and make sure to meet those case schedule deadlines. Being "fired" by your first attorney does raise a red flag but as long as you have a reasonable explanation and the new attorney feels comfortable with you and the case, then you shouldn't have a problem finding another attorney. You will have to come up with another retainer though.