What forms should I fill as the intending immigrant? I-864 or I-864a

Boise, ID |

I'm the intending immigrant and we are including my income for consideration. What application should I fill in conjunction with my spouses I-864? Another I-864 or I-864a?

I should have clarified. I'm living with my wife (who's the petitioner) and my income is covering all of the financial requirements. My wife is a full time student. We have listed her income on I-864 as well. I have no dependents. I've worked lawfully in the US. Still confused because it looks like there are different opinions here

You should include the contract with a household member.

Myron R. Morales, Attorney
Morales PLLC
info@moralespllc.com

even if I don't have any dependents? To my understanding, I'm not required to fill I-864a if I don't have any dependents. I'm confused. Hence the question...

If you are living in the same household just use the same I-864 and fill out the appropriate areas and questions to include your income as the intending immigrant and household member using your income and that of the petitioner.

Should I not file the contract with a household member then?

Haroen Calehr

Haroen Calehr

You can. But as mentioned above it should suffice if you just use one I-864 and combine both your salaries/income as long as you have lived in the same household in the last 6 months and your work was pursuant to legal authorization from USCIS. If you were working without permission you will need to get a co-sponsor.

We got married in September 2012 (less than 6 months ago, obviously) and moved in a few weeks before that into the same apartment. I've been working with permission

Haroen Calehr

Haroen Calehr

Its probably best to be absolutely sure you should schedule a consult with my office to review your situation before your file. reds

I agree

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

You agree to what exactly? To having to file I-864a or just filing one I-864? There are two different opinions here. Thanks in advance

I-864a if you have worked lawfully in the U.S.

Even if I don't have dependents?