What forms do I need to start a nonprofit unincorporated association in Massachusetts?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Canton, MA

Do I start with attorney general?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Terri D. Leary

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . You need to get the assistance of an attorney to set up the business properly. When you don't even know the proper starting point, you are not likely to be able to complete this without some assistance--and there are severe consequences for a business that purports to be non-profit and then hasn't complied with the proper filings. An attorney that specializes in establishing businesses, business plans and corporations can make sure that, not only will your initial filings be complete and accurate, but your yearly requirements will also be correct.

    Good luck.

    Providing users with information is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. However, if in... more
  2. Keith G Langer


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Corporations fall under the jurisdiction of the Secretary of the Commonwealth.

    However, a non-profit has very specific criteria for filings and accounting. If those are not observed, it may have contact with the Attorney General.

    Better to retain an attorney versed in non-profits and have him/her set up the association. Contact the MA and Norfolk County bar associations for referrals.

    The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,486 answers this week

2,909 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,486 answers this week

2,909 attorneys answering