What forms do I need to file to change venue in family law court from Los Angeles to San Francisco ,we dont live there anymore

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

This is for child custody of our kids ,I live in SF for a year and my ex is in prison in a different county . I went to the San Francisco legal help center and they told me to fill out the FL-300 ,but they couldn't give me any other info since its a different county .Also our LA case is stopped due to the petitioner (my ex) being incarcerated ,the judge denied his OSC without prejudice

1. Donald Frederick Conviser

4

1

Answered . Accord with Ms. Jett's excellent response. You could go to the Self-Help Center of the San Francisco Superior Court for assistance from a volunteer lawyer. The same FL-300 form is used for Requests for Orders in every Superior Court in California, and it would be completed in the same manner for every Superior Court in California. If you can afford it, you would best consult an experienced local (San Francisco) Family Law Attorney to assist you in preparing the RFO, which you will need to file in the Los Angeles Court, have it served on your ex by a professional process server with access to his prison, and you will need to appear in Los Angeles for the hearing on your RFO. Good luck.

2. Nadine Marie Jett

3

1

Answered . The FL-300 is an Order to Show Cause (now called a REquest for Order). If you look at the form, you can fill it out, and request that your entire case be transferred to San Francisco, based upon the fact that neither one of you live in Los Angeles County. If the Court grants your request, you will have to pay the fee to have the case transferred. Best of luck to you.