What forms do I need to file to change venue in family law court from Los Angeles to San Francisco ,we dont live there anymore

Filed under: Family law

This is for child custody of our kids ,I live in SF for a year and my ex is in prison in a different county . I went to the San Francisco legal help center and they told me to fill out the FL-300 ,but they couldn't give me any other info since its a different county .Also our LA case is stopped due to the petitioner (my ex) being incarcerated ,the judge denied his OSC without prejudice

The FL-300 is an Order to Show Cause (now called a REquest for Order). If you look at the form, you can fill it out, and request that your entire case be transferred to San Francisco, based upon the fact that neither one of you live in Los Angeles County. If the Court grants your request, you will have to pay the fee to have the case transferred. Best of luck to you.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. **************CAUTION*************** CAUTION*************** CAUTION ****************** CAUTION************ Readers should be cautioned that AVVO cannot be relied on as they have a corrupt and dishonest rating system. AVVO routinely allows "client reviews" to be posted by individuals that are not "real" clients. AVVO does not ensure that the public receives truthful accurate information.

Thank you very much for the info ,one more thing,after I file the FL-300 do I need to request a hearing date to ask the judge for the change of venue? I called the department clerk and she said that I also have to request a hearing date besides filing the FL-300 ,is that true?

Nadine Marie Jett

Nadine Marie Jett

When you file the FL-300, they will give you a date, there is a blank in the middle of the page, and they write the date in this blank. There is also a filing fee. Read the form, you will see what I am talking about.

Thank you,I filled it out already ,filing tomorrow : )

Accord with Ms. Jett's excellent response. You could go to the Self-Help Center of the San Francisco Superior Court for assistance from a volunteer lawyer. The same FL-300 form is used for Requests for Orders in every Superior Court in California, and it would be completed in the same manner for every Superior Court in California. If you can afford it, you would best consult an experienced local (San Francisco) Family Law Attorney to assist you in preparing the RFO, which you will need to file in the Los Angeles Court, have it served on your ex by a professional process server with access to his prison, and you will need to appear in Los Angeles for the hearing on your RFO. Good luck.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Thank you so much,I did tried to get help from the Help center ,but the lady said that since it was a different county , every county have different ways of doing it and that they didn't know what LA county need it...But thanks to this info that I got from you guys,I already filled out the forms and they are ready to go tomorrow... God Bless you guys !